Emerald Sea Photography
The Louie was built in Astoria, Oregon in 1923. The 63 foot long, wood hulled tug operated between Portland and Astoria for many years, where her trusty Atlas-Imperial diesel engine pulled thousands of tons of cargo.
The Louie was sold several times during the fifty years that she worked the waters of the Pacific Northwest. Her engine was swapped out for a larger diesel and her port of call was changed to Westport, Washington.
On October 23, 1973, the Louie sank in thirty-five feet of water, just off of the Yarrow Bay Marina. Today, she sits just off the north entrance to the Carillon Point marina, which can be busy. However, this makes for a very nice winter dive when there isn't much boat traffic to harass visiting divers.
The very interesting pilot house has slid off to the port side of the wreck, exposing the massive diesel engine that powered this sturdy tug. The home port of "Westport" can be easily read written in large letters across the stern and the name "Louie" is barely readable up on the bow of this amazing wood hulled tug.
The location of the Louie was re-discovered by Richard Jack on January 23rd, 2011. Since then several divers have enjoyed this shallow jewel in Houghton.